Mobile Telecommunication faces a very tough challenge now. Radiation is a big issue and is concerned directly with the health of people. Mobile Radiation has been a topic of discussion for the past couple of years in India and finally the Government seems to be taking Radiation Norms seriously.
- What is the whole Mobile Radiation topic all about?
- Is mobile radiation or SAR something to worry about?
Yes, We need to worry a lot. Every time we use our cellphone for calling without using Hands-free we expose ourselves to radiation. And, no matter how less that radiation be... it is still harmful. And, not to forget, we are always exposed to radiation from the Mobile towers.
The SAR essentially measures the rate at which the body absorbs energy when exposed to a radio frequency electromagnetic field or electronic devices using radio spectrum.
Finally, Government has decided to toughen the radiation norms and as per reports, the government might establish stricter norms for mobile radiation regulations from today, and under these new norms, the Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) value will be down to a revised 1.6 watts per kilogram (W/kg) from the earlier 2 W/kg.
- What can be done to reduce exposure to mobile radiation?
- Start using Hands-free to make calls
- If possible, substitute Cellphones with Landlines for calling purpose
- Give priority to SMSes over Calls as it will reduce the exposure to radiation
- Never carry mobile phones in your clothes
- Switch-off your phone OR set it to Offline Mode when there is no network